Donnerstag, 6. August 2009

Books and stuff

I love books. I always have.
When I was younger, I always pictured myself studying literature.. with piles of beautiful fat and oh-so-wise books covered in dark brown leather next to me.. (well, after a rather turbulent flight made me realize that Stewardess as absolutely NOT what I wanted to be and also the spririt to study medicine had left my brains, that is)
One of my first books was called "Mein Kleines Pony" and I knew it by heart when I was fourandahalf. Then there was this huge book about a witch (a good one of course), who bewitched the whole world and made the sky green and the grass blue, oh I loved that book! During the primary school years I read a lot... Really. About 4 books a week... Man, I wish I'd still be able to do that! Back then I loooooved those girly books about boarding schools and stewardesses, I even had three pink adventures of Barbie in bookform (they are still in my basement, anyone interested?).
A very special day was the day I first was allowed to take a look at the department "Youth Books" in our local library... a whole new world opened up to me (since I have read all the children's books of any interest to me). Last week I found back one of my favourite books from that time, I must have been 12 or so when I first read it. It's called "Die Mädchen vom Dachboden" and it is indeed as kitschy as it sounds... I read it again this summer. And found it fantastic!
It is only now that I'm studying literature that I realized, how impossible it is to know it all. Even to know a lot. Thinking of how many books I'll have to read next year and visualizing them next to the books I want to read for myself or additionally... oooh. Every single year I promise myself to read more, be more patient, appreciate difficult or boring bits and pieces.. it's time to renew these intentions.. and stick to them faithfully. yes. I do.
At least I have already read some good books in the last weeks: Oranges are not the only fruit, The Great Gatsby, 2 books of Daniel Glattauer, the Dachboden book, and now Virgina Woolf. You see, I'm trying :)

well, what I actually wanted to post is a poem. I got myself a new book yesterday: It's called "Neue Liebesgedichte" and it's home to a collection of german love-poems of the last 30 years. It has a beautiful white soft-cover and so on. The first poem I read was one of Peter Turrini, at first I didn't find it that great.. by now i quite like it.:

Liebe macht blind
sagt man
und folglich
werde ich
in den Verein der Blinden
und Sehschwachen
eintreten.
Einen Blindenhund
beantragen.
Die Wohnung blindengerecht
umbauen.
Und jede Nacht
werde ich
an den Erhebungen deines Körpers
die Blindenschrift
üben.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen